How to remove stains from dry clean only clothing
Stains are bound to happen throughout our daily life. Whether you spilled salsa on your favorite blouse or your child got mud on your favorite suit, dealing with stains is a hassle. While stains happen, it is not always practical to dry clean your clothes that often. Removing stains is all about acting quickly and choosing the right method for your clothes. If your clothes are dry clean only and it has been stained, follow these helpful tips to remove the stain while skipping the dry cleaners.
Steps to Remove Stains from Dry Clean Only Clothing
1. Check the label
The first step you should take before trying to treat any stain is to check the clothing label that is sewn into your garment. The label will tell you the type of fabric, what products to avoid, whether ironing is advised, and whether it needs to be dry cleaned. If your clothes are rayon, suede, leather, or cashmere, it is advised that you take them straight to your local dry cleaners to avoid further damage to your clothes.
2. Find and identify the stain
Once you identify the type of stain, you can find which method is best suited to remove the stain. Check out these common stains and products that will remove them without damaging your clothing:
Oil Based Stains
Oil based stains can include anything from lotion and body oils to butter and salad dressing. If you have an oil-based stain, try baking soda to remove the stain. You can also use citrus-based degreasing agent, such as Palmolive dishwashing liquid.
This includes meat, grass, eggs, blood, vomit, and urine. At home remedies include ammonia, peroxide, or high-quality detergent without dyes.
This can include anything from actual food to ketchup, coffee, red wine, other beverages, and even mud. Try using white vinegar or you may also use dish detergent, like Dawn or Palmolive.
Use an enzyme cleaner, like OxiClean.
Use alcohol or products containing alcohol, such as hairspray or hand sanitizer
3. Gather your supplies
Typically, when removing stains from clothing, there are a few items that are most commonly needed. These include:
– Scraper (This could be a brush, a plastic spoon, or even a credit card.)
– Absorbent white towel or cloth (This is used to blot the stain and absorb water.)
– Paper towels, cotton balls, or cotton swabs
– Cool or cold water
4. First, scrape off any excess
Using a hard edge, such as a credit card or plastic knife to scrape off any excess, like lotion, makeup, or sauce. Use a clean cloth and cold water to blot the area. If water does not remove the stain, try an appropriate cleaning solution for the type of stain as mentioned above. Once the stain is removed, use a clean cloth to blot any remaining cleaning solution. Repeat until the stain is completely removed from your garment. Allow to air dry.
5. Steps for removing liquid stains
– Start by blotting the stained area with a clean, soft washcloth to remove as much liquid as possible.
– Next, using a cotton ball, cotton swab, or soft cloth, apply the appropriate cleaner.
– Continue to blot the stain. Make sure to regularly switch to a new section of the cloth to avoid spreading the stain.
– Repeat until the stain is removed.
– Once the stain is removed, use water and a clean cloth to blot the area.
– Lay completely flat and allow the garment to air dry.
6. Steps for removing oily stains
– When dealing with oil-based stains, begin by covering the stain with an absorbent, such as baking soda or cornstarch, to soak up the oil. Allow it to set for 30 minutes.
– Once it has set, flip the fabric and shake to remove any absorbent.
– After the oil has been absorbed, apply the appropriate cleaning solution and allow it to set for a few minutes.
– Use a clean cloth to blot the area and remove the cleaning solution.
– Lay the garment flat and allow it to air dry.
Choosing a Dry Cleaner’s
Whether you are in need of more time or just want to avoid the hassle of laundry, our team of professionals at Hangers Cleaners is here to help. From dry cleaning services to wet services, alterations, pressing clothes, and many more, Hangers Cleaners has got you covered! We know that life can get busy – that’s why we offer free dry cleaning delivery and pickup for all of our customers! Call us at 501-227-8500 to schedule services for all of your laundry needs today.