Can You Take Throw Pillows to the Dry Cleaner?
From comforters to curtains and towels to pillows, it is important to ensure that all the fabrics in your house stay fresh and clean. If you are like the majority of people, you are probably wondering how to wash your throw pillows, like the gorgeous ones decorating your couch or your favorite ones that are on your bed. Having soft and comfy throw pillows is such a nice way to add a small touch of decoration to a room, but it is also important that they stay clean. Whether you choose to take your throw pillows to the dry cleaner or prefer to wash them yourself, take a look at these helpful tips!
How Often Should I Wash My Throw Pillows?
How often you wash your throw pillows can depend on a few different things, such as how often they are used or whether or not you shower before laying on them. Throw pillows that have removable covers should be washed more regularly; the covers should be washed every two to four weeks, depending on how often you use them. However, if the cover is not removable, it is suggested that you clean your pillow every other month or so, depending on how soiled it gets.
Tips for Cleaning Decorative Pillows
It is important to remember to clean your household pillows, just like you do other household appliances and decorations. The human body sheds thousands of dead skin cells every day. This attracts dust mites, which can cause year-round allergies. Cleaning your pillows regularly will help get rid of these dust mites, as well as clean any sweat or oils from your skin that have soaked through your pillow case. How you wash your pillows will depend on the type of pillows that you have.
1. READ THE LABEL. Always start by carefully reading the label on your throw pillow, if possible. The manufacturer’s care label will tell you whether the fabric needs to be dry-cleaned or washed in a mild, soapy solution. As a general rule of thumb, silk and velvet fabrics will require dry cleaning fluid, while cotton and synthetic fabrics can both be cleaned with water.
2. TEST BEFORE PROCEEDING. It is extremely important to do a spot test on your throw pillow or the pillowcase before cleaning with any chemical product. To do this, use a white towel and an approved cleaner solution for the type of fabric you are cleaning. Use the towel to blot the cleaner on the pillow for around 30 seconds. After, check the towel to see if there has been any color transfer from the pillow. Once the pillow dries, check again to make sure there is no fading or discoloration.
3. HAND WASH, IF POSSIBLE. Spot cleaning a throw pillow is the safest cleaning technique, especially for extremely delicate decorative pillows. If necessary, use a cleaning solution to hand wash your throw pillows.
4. AIR OR TUMBLE DRY. Air drying is the best option for drying your throw pillows; however, it is possible to dry throw pillowcases in your dryer at home. You will want to ensure that your dryer is on the lowest no-heat setting, such as tumble, air dry, or fluff. After removing the pillowcases from the dryer, lay them out flat or hang them so that they will maintain their shape and dry completely before being put back on the pillows.
5. PAY ATTENTION TO SPECIAL FABRICS. If your throw pillow covers are made from fabrics like silk, leather, suede, or wool, they cannot be cleaned with water.
If you are dealing with a fragile decorative pillow or a throw pillow that cannot be removed from it’s pillowcase, taking it to a professional is the best option. Contact Hangers Cleaners for all of your throw pillow and laundry needs!
How to Keep Your Throw Pillows Clean Longer
If you are looking for a way to help keep your decorative throw pillows clean longer, you can start by regularly dusting or vacuuming them. You will also want to keep you hard-to-clean throw pillows in hard-to-reach places so that your pets, kids, or guest’s feet won’t soil them frequently.
At Hangers Cleaners, our team of professionals is here to help you with all of your laundry needs – from your business casual outfit to your home’s curtains and pillows. Bulky throw pillows can be difficult to manage with your home washing machine. We offer free pickup and delivery services, which means that you don’t have to worry about laundry or leaving the house! Call or visit your friendly neighborhood Hangers Cleaners to learn more and get started with your laundry-free life.
Never Do Laundry Again.
We know that your life is busy. We try to make things a little bit easier for you by offering free dry cleaning delivery and pickup. Yes, that’s right. We even include pickup. If you are a returning customer, login here. If you are a new customer, click below to sign up.