HOW TO CARE FOR A HANDMADE SWEATER
Handmade garments are a treasure to receive as a gift. However, they usually don’t come with a care tag. So caring for them might take some extra thought. Here are a few tips and tricks on how to clean a handmade sweater from the team at Hangers Cleaners.
We don’t recommend machine washing delicate, handmade garments. Handwashing might seem like more work, but the process is less risky.
If you know machine washing will be safe for your garment, here are a few tips.
Wash on gentle.
- Use the appropriate amount of a gentle detergent.
- Lay flat to dry.
Wash by hand.
Hand washing garments is much easier than most people think. Set aside some time during the weekend to give it a try.
- Prepare: Before submerging the sweater in the wash, turn it inside-out.
- Water: Fill a clean sink or dish that will fit the garment with cold water. The water doesn’t need to be icy gold. Just chilly.
- Soap: Time to add soap. We recommend using liquid detergent. Read the label and use the appropriate amount. Excessive soap will be harder to rinse out. Out of liquid detergent? Try washing your gently worn garment with shampoo.
- Wash: Swish your garment around in the chilled water and soap and let it sit for a few minutes. This step could take up to 10 minutes.
- Dry: Remove the garment from the wash and gently remove the excess water. Do not wring the garment. You can squeeze it gently with your fingers instead. Lay it out on half of an absorbent bath towel and fold the second half of the towel over the top. Roll the towel up to help remove more water. At this point you can take it and lay it on a new, dry towel and let it dry, or you can throw it in the dryer on a low heat and let it dry the rest of the way on a soft spin.
Take it to a dry cleaners.
While dry cleaning isn’t always necessary, it is a safe way to care for even the most delicate of handmade items. We can help you determine what kind of material your garment is made of and what is the best way to care for it.
If you are unsure how to care for your specific handmade garment, we are here to help.
Hangers Cleaners proudly serves central Arkansas as the best dry cleaners in the metro. Our specialty is helping you take care of your treasured items as if they were our own.
Measure the sweater before you wash it. When you lay it out to dry you can adjust the measurements to help keep the shape.
Use a steamer to do a quick touch-up after being washed. This will help return the handmade garment to it’s pre-wash beauty.